(note that a traditional Scottish trifle does not include jelly) (serves 6)
Sponge swiss roll (or madeira cake)
350g raspberries, strawberries or mixed berries (defrosted frozen raspberries are ideal, as no need to look perfect!)
2 tablespoons of whisky (add more to make the trifle a bit more tipsy/drookit!)
Batch of home-made custard
300ml double cream, whipped)
Toasted almonds to garnish
- Cut sponge in slices and place around the inside of a glass serving bowl (base and sides). Use slightly thicker slices of sponge in the base. Alternatively, use individual serving dishes.
- Drizzle whisky (or choice of liqueur) over the sponges.
- Spoon the fruit over the top. Distributing evenly throughout the dish.
- Drizzle with any remaining juice from the fruit.
- Spoon over the cooled home-made custard.
- Spoon on the whipped cream.
- Finish with flakes, toasted almonds.