Granny Shand’s Bannocks
(she’s 97 and she used to give us bannocks with broth and other meals)
330g Oatmeal – ground oats
265g Plain flour
2 tsp Baking soda
1.5 tsp Salt
- Mix the oatmeal and flour together in your bowl and add salt.
- Add the baking soda to the buttermilk
- Add your milk mixture to your bowl with the flour, salt and oatmeal bringing it together with a spoon to form a dough.
- Take your mix out of the bowl and place it on a floured surface. Split the dough into two. Manipulate the dough into a flat circle about one inch in thickness and the right diameter to suit your griddle, skillet or frying pan.
- Indent your dough to provide 4 quarters then gently add the dough to your griddle/skillet making sure the heat is focused in the centre of the pan.
- You should only have to turn your bannock once, leaving it longer on the first side to do the majority of cooking then turning it over to lightly brown the top.